so....

I'm away for a while and if you want to follow me.....read my posts below...or just have a look at my pictures.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

San Pedro de Atacama.

An update from the most dry dessert on this planet (Atacama). This is truly a must see place for anybody. I hope the pictures will speak for itself.

Unfortunately it was not so nice and easy to get here. The Irish guy (from my previous) post and I decided to travel together to San Pedro. While waiting for the bus in la Serena, we ate an epenade (as almost every day for lunch) and while we weren enjoying this Chilean haut cuisine his small backpack got stolen. Probably I was watching it while it happened but I didn`t see anything. Too bas because his passport was in this bag so he was not able to leave and even wors
, he had to return to the brittish amabassy in Santiago for a new passport. Since I could not help him in any way I decided to travel alone to San Pedro. So this time no spanish course, no irish jokes, just 18 hours alone in a bus. But to be honest this was not even so bad, watching a bit the scenery, reading some books, learning some spanish and sleeping a bit and before you know it you arrive in ..... what the lonely planet calls, the shithole of Chili. That was fortunately not my end destination I just needed to wait there for a few hours and then finally I got my last bus for 1,5 hours into the dessert.

I stay in a Slovenian hostel and since I, obvioulsy, told Ela about this, my welcome was very warm. And even better Ela had left me a very nice welcome letter. This was a good beginning of 4 days pure enjoyment. Quite quickly I met an Austrian guy with who I spend a bit of time and some other people I that I had met before also stayed in my hostel.
The first day was about exploring the village. It is not more than a few sandy streets and some small houses but there is a cool and laidback vibe that makes you want to sit down, have a drink, enjoy the beautiful scenary and dream away for a few hours. So that is what I did.
THe the first night it was time for a few drinks...which leaded to one of the most cool parties I have ever been to. The bars here are not allowed to serve alcohol after one so people organize pàrties in the dessert. So that is where I went with my austrian friend. And if you have some drinks, nice music, a big fire and  the clearest sky (with stars) in the world...what do you want more????




























The I had two days with tours in the area. As said I will not use to many words, I hope the pictures will say enough..... Just bare in mind that most of the pictures have been taken at an altitude between 2000 and 4300 meters. The temp changes from -13 to 40 degrees.... and the little river in which we took a  bath was  amongst ice at an altitude of 4000 meters and the water is 40 degrees.  Really incredible!!!!

Tomorrow in a 4x4 from here to Bolivia (Uyuni). This will take me three days in cold and basic conditions but I´m sure it will bring many more amazing moments and nice photos. Keep you posted

3 comments:

  1. Tja ,na deze foto's valt er verder weinig te zeggen.
    ongelooflijk wat schitterend en voor ons prachtige beelden om van te gaan dromen om deze nederlandse tijd.
    Welterusten.
    R EN E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeee, blij te lezen dat je ook aan de andere kant van de wereld leuke feestjes hebt.
    X yellow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful pictures !!!! I'm impressed !! You should work for Natgeo :-)... Really happy to see your trip is going great... Keep going hugs, Berangere.

    ReplyDelete