so....

I'm away for a while and if you want to follow me.....read my posts below...or just have a look at my pictures.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Pablo Neruda, wines and surffing

Woke up the morning after my party in Valparaiso with a kind of hangover. But despite of that I decided to travel in the morning to Isla Negra. The only reason for visiting this town is the old house of Pablo Neruda (the Chilean writer/poet) that won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1971.  So that is what I did..... Unfortunately the sunny weather of Valparaiso changed into a grey foggy cold afternoon just when we drove into the village. But even with this weather it is easy to imagine how the location of this house inspired Pablo. Still tired and actually a bit diasppointed about the weather I walked back to the hostel when all of a sudden I noticed a ship mast  and some sails in the middle o houses (not at the sea).

 When I walked by a guy was sitting on the roof doing some works. When I said hi he asked me to come into his house so that he could explainw hat he is working on. THe house is supposed to be a ship that takes adults back to their childhood when they were dreaming about being a pirate. The ship should allow people to behave again like a child which should also lead to different artistic expressions like dance, singing, painting.  To demonstrate how things could work he locked me up in the cellar (yes I was quite afraid that this was not a game) and he started making noises in the rest of the ship. I definetely felt like somebody captured by pirates....and wanted to get out as sson as possible. 
After I escaped from the pirate ship (which by the way sruvived the eartquake quite easily) I returned the hostel thiking how I was going to spens an evening with the owner of the hostel not speaking English. But surprising a friend of her also stayed there for a night and he as able to translate a bit. More interesting though about this person (Rodrico) was his job, he is travelling around south america making sounds..... and this specific evening he was going to a session in the hostel and many people from the village were invited.  This was quite an expereience since it was more a meditation session than just music. But you know me... I need to try everything so I juts closed my eyes, tried to meditate with my new friends and was happy that I did not need to speak spanish for a moment.
THe next morning had a relaxing start of the day and helped  sandra clkean up the stuff of the nigh before...and managed to speak a bit with her.
Then took a bus (via Santiago) to Santa Cruz which is wine capital of Chile. Ended up again in a hostel where the owner (Karla) was very very nice but didn´t speak any englis. I thank god that he inveted Google translate.....and Charles. Chalres was an Amercian guy also staying in the hostel.....

Realize I need to run for my first Spanish lesson ..... will let you know later about wine stating, rodeo and my spanish course...and hope to post some pictures (but that is not as easy as I thought)

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing with us your experience.It seems really great!!!
    Today an electrician hanged the big lamp(the design stuff that are not made to be used ;-)). It took him 1 hour....so your father was kind of an expert as he definitely did it quicker!
    sophie

    ReplyDelete