so....

I'm away for a while and if you want to follow me.....read my posts below...or just have a look at my pictures.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Island in the sun!

Obviously i woke up the day after Qday with an enourmous headache.
But how easy can it be to deal with that if you are in a city like Sucre. I spend the day just walking a bit around, reading and mainly looking at the bolivians celebrating Labour day. It looks like the bolivians try to make a party from every opportunity. Not sure though whether that is to forget the harsh reality or just because they like to party…


After three days in sucre I decided to continue to La Paz. There is an easy night bus (with cama= kind of bed) that takes you in 12 hours to La Paz. But depsite of this cama I didn´t manage to sleep a lot. Especially the stars kept me awake. So nice to just look out of the window and be able to see so many of them.


I stayed for 2 nights in La Paz. I arranged there a trip to the amazon forest (2 days cycling, 3 days by boat and hiking), however at the moment of writing I´m back in La Paz to get my money back since they cancelled the trip. That is really a pitty since I was so looking fwd to it. But the nice things about travelling for a longer time is that you can change your plans, and later today I will book an other trip to the amazon (more about that later)
What else about la Paz, the city centre is quite organized, again many people on the streets selling things, however the view over the city from one of the viewpoint is the most impressive. A bowl full of houses, that is according to me the best way to descibe la Paz. So far, I did not yet feel unsafe at all here. But you never know.
Oh yes before I forget it, they have people here that are dresses as zebra´s to help people over the (zebra´s) crossover...how cool is that...and funny



From la Paz I moved on to Copacobana, no not the beach in Brazil but the  main Bolivian village at lake Titicaca. This lake is biggest high altitude lake in the world. But I think I will write to the lonely planet that they should change the description to the most beautiful lake in the world (sorry Ela, i still need to see lake Bled in sunshine). Having a crystal clear lake at such an high altitude with hills and snowy mountains around simply take your breath away (literally as well).

I met up withg a Danish girl with who I´m travelling now for a few days  and we also vitited together the Isla del Sol. According to the Inca´s this is the place where the sun was born…not sure whether I need to believe that but at least the sun was constantly there and according to my red arms the sun was also very close. We walked for almost 6 hours on the island which was so beautiful, but at the same time exhausting. BMy western body will never get used to low oxygen levels  But at the end the reward was there; a beautiful and tranquil hostal on a Cliff looking over the lake. So nice to then take rest with a good glass of Huari (the beer)watching the sunset…..a moment that i will not quickly forget.
THere are so many small stories that I would like to share with all of you but I´m afraid that will need to come when we see each other again.  I´m keeping a sort of diary for myself but it is kind of hard to capture everything on my blog (just like all the beautiful  pictures). Ask me when we see echother again for our prĂ­vate boat back from isla del sol, a priest throwing empty chips bags from the cliffs, barking dogs in la Paz  and I´m sure many more stories will follow.

Now am in la Paz trying to arrange a new trip to the amazon. We will stay in an ecolodge in the middle of the jungle to experience it in the best way. I have heard that it is even possible to swim with pink river dolphins…….that would be quite an experience…... At the same time I´m also still looking how I´m going to skip Peru. I will try to book a ticket today to Ecuador so I can continue my travel with Surf, Galapagos and Colombia…..

2 comments:

  1. hallo broertje van mij.Ben je pipilangkous nog tegengekomen bij het titicacameer? geintje ;-)
    hoe gaat ie? hier alles onder controle. ik lees graag over je mooie verhalen. dikke kus katja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hai robin, die geweldige foto's en verhalen kunnen wij niet echt evenaren maar wat dacht je van Alberto contador als eerst op de Etna en ajax KAMPIOEN.
    DAT ZIJN DAN TOCH WEL WEER GOEDE MELDINGEN VANUIT nEDERLAND EN MISSCHIEN EEN PRACHTIGE FOTO VANUIT FRANKRIJK IN AUGUSTUS.
    Wie weet.
    Liefs, E+R.

    ReplyDelete